You may have heard of others blaming Mercury for their miscommunications and computer glitches and wondered how a planet has anything to do with it. It does sound like nonsense right? Well, there’s some truth to it and today I would like to be clear up the confusion around the prominent astrological event that seems to affect even the strongest non-believers.
What is Mercury Retrograde?
Mercury Retrograde happens over a 3 week period, 3, sometimes 4 times a year. During this time, from earth, it appears that Mercury reverses its spin and goes backward, but this is more or less an optical illusion. This happens because Mercury is closer to the sun and orbits faster than earth, the retrogrades happen when the earth is catching up!
I like to think of astrology and retrogrades as a psychic weather system- like rain or snow- that we want to be aware of so that we can plan our schedules appropriately.
Mercury governs the mind, communication, moving parts, technology, trade and commerce, therefore, these areas of our experience will be the most likely to be affected. During this time, our subconscious mind tends to be more alive and prominent than our conscious mind. This means that there is a greater tendency to go on autopilot and act from our old programs and limiting beliefs. Often our self-talk is louder than normal and we find ourselves reacting to situations instead of responding. Our conscious awareness seems less available, but this is exactly why we need to make the effort to take extra care of ourselves during this time.
What does this mean for me?
Due to the nature of retrogrades and the effect it has on the mind, you may notice a lack of clarity, difficulty expressing yourself, or like no matter what you say, you aren’t being understood. This is because Mercury, which during a retrograde is essentially asleep, isn’t around to support communication such as listening, speaking, learning and negotiating in the same way. So you can expect more miscommunications and setbacks during this time.
Often there is a palpable heaviness, slowness, and confusion in the air. For that reason, it can be difficult to make plans and certainly you can expect more unusual and wacky events to arise. This is why many people consider retrograde season a ‘bad’ thing, but I would like to change the conversation around this important astrological event. In order to make the most of this time, which can be almost 3 months of the year, we need to learn to be mindful, surrender to the flow and ride the waves!
What to Avoid During a Retrograde:
Any BIG decisions, life purchases, contracts (written or verbal), submitting essays, court dates, signing a lease, etc. As best as you can, avoid triggering situations where you may fly off the hand and say something that you don’t mean.
Self-Care For Retrograde Seasons:
- Be kind and gentle with yourself. Compassion is the antidote to any emotional outbursts or harsh messaging from the many voices of your Inner Critic.
- Retrogrades are the PERFECT time for self-care. There is a natural tendency to shy away from our extroverted side and retreat inward and reflect. So this means that quiet nights at home, journaling, solitude, and meditation could be just what the doctor ordered!
- Because of the heightened subconscious activity, we have the opportunity to contact, communicate and reprogram it easier than other times of the year. This makes it the ideal time to tune in and catch yourself in any negative thought loops and consciously shift them.
- Get out into nature and let her heal you.
- Give yourself time to sit with decisions and responses before firing something back without thinking.
- Double and triple check important documents.
- Expect delays, miscommunications, and forgetfulness… they happen a lot during a retrograde!
- Leave extra time to get places, bring a backup map if you are going on a road trip!
- Plan the year ahead around the retrogrades, it’s NOT the time to have surgeries or weddings.
- Back up your computer and cellphone before it begins!
2018 Retrograde dates to plan ahead:
March 22nd- April 15th in Aries
July 26th- Aug 18th in Leo and Scorpio
Nov 16th- Dec 6th in Sagittarius and Scorpio
Check out my #SelfCareSunday Live Show on the Self-Care for Retrograde Season:
So remember, retrogrades are nothing to be scared of, just to be mindful of, prepared for and surrendered to!